Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My little genius

Just have to brag on Tradd's intelligence. Yesterday I was reading one of his dinosaur books to him and instead of skipping over the "millions of years ago," blah, blah, blah part, I accidentally read it and then I said, "whatever." Tradd asked why I said that so I briefly explained a little about evolution. Very briefly and probably most crudely. I said that some scientists believe that some fish used to be land animals and that some land animals used to be fish and that they adapted when their environment changed. I said that evolution even says that way back, our relatives were monkeys or apes or something and he laughed!! Well, today he can talk about nothing but evolution. He said "mommy, you know my movie about dinosaurs?" I said, "you mean Fantasia?" He said, "yes." "Well, you know that part where the fish are wiggling and changing and then some start to walk instead of swim? Is that evolution?" I was floored,"OH, MY GOSH!! Yes!" So he wanted to know more about evolution so we talked about Darwin. And, I told him that I was pretty sure Darwin even changed his mind about this theory but nobody ever talks about that. (will have to do some homework on that) So he later was making all kinds of dinosaurs and fish with his play dough but he would make them all a little different to demonstrate evolution. Then, tonight he gets his story Bible out because I had told him that it's possible that God made some animals with the ability to adapt to a changing environment but that certainly the part about how something came from nothing is impossible. I told him that the Bible tells us that God was always there and he's the `something' that created everything. We read about Adam and Eve and all of creation and he didn't want to stop so we read up through Joseph. Then he asked Scott if they could watch the Moses movie and that's where they are now. Scott just said that he was in there with them during the part where God promised Canaan to the Israelites and when Tradd heard about the "land flowing with milk and honey," he said he would really like that place because he can't get enough milk and honey. Kids say the greatest things!! Cooper is at the stage where he shows more emotional/relational intelligence than IQ. (His IQ especially shows in his attempts at manipulating situations to get his way and especially manipulating his brother to get Tradd into trouble.) Anyway, he's so caring for his sister when she's upset. About a week ago we were at another church during morning bible study and when Coleman got upset in the nursery, they walked around with her and Cooper came up to the worker with Coleman and patted her head and said "I right here Poleman, don't cry. It's all right!" So sweet and tender. Well, I could write for hours but I'm tired. Just had to brag. Coleman is great and healthy but having difficulty teething. She's cruising mostly to the right so we work on the left side. She loves to stand up and frequently thinks she can do it without holding on. Good thing her bottom is well padded. Well, Good night! Many blessings to you!

5 comments:

Super Rog said...

Well with three wonderful kids, I'm hardly able to wait for the next Kinney Kid[s].

Anonymous said...

Meghan, you are so right about Cooper being caring and looking after his sister. When I was there and trying to get Coleman to sleep or keep her from crying because she was tired. Cooper played his guitar to soothe her. He is so loving. I'm sure he will always look after Coleman.

Love, Nana

Super Rog said...

I knew that the Princess had a couple of chivalrious Knights to protect her.

[this is from Wikipedia]

Chivalric code
For more details on this topic, see chivalry.
The chivalrous knight was idealized as brave in battle, loyal to his king and God, and willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Towards his fellow Christians and countrymen, the knight was to be merciful, humble, and courteous. Towards noble ladies above all, the knight was to be gracious and gentle.

The Gotbeters said...

What little treasures! Lets get together soon!

Forever Young said...

I'm so glad I finally made it over to your blog - it's great! Your kids are SO sweet - love the evolution discussions you're having. We've loved a book called What Really Happened to the Dinosaurs by John Morris and Ken Ham - fun without all of the millions and millions of years, blah, blah, blah!