Friday, August 29, 2008

Our pet guinea pigs, Lady and Tramp

Betcha didn't know that some vets actually see/treat guinea pigs!? Never thought I'd ever care that they did. Actually would have cost us less to let the one die and buy a new one. Sounds horrible but I just couldn't see the little animals suffer anymore. So, Monday we made an emergency (unplanned) trip to the vet with Lady and Tramp who have been scratching furiously for months. Well, they were found to have, are you ready for this? They both have scabies and
Lady has it so bad she also has pneumonia and has lost weight etc. The amazing thing to me is that I didn't even say anything to the vet about putting her down. He said they would both get a shot for the scabies and then we'd go home with meds for the pneumonia and hope it gets better. This, I accepted along with a pretty big bill. Honestly, I'll probably get flack for this but, our wonderful dog has heartworms and we didn't even spend the $400 to get her better. She was diagnosed with this at least 5 years ago and you should see this girl run. Anyway, this was nowhere near $400 but much more than a new one would have cost. She'd better live!! She's actually eating and drinking pretty well and taking her meds very well. Just one more thing as a parent that I never thought I'd do. I told Tradd that she may not make it but we were going to do what we can to help her live. He started to cry and I'm not sure what all he said. I think he said something about getting another one to which I quickly said "no." Made him cry more. See, I should have let her die and just bought another one. He would have been fine with that. UGH!! Well, today we went crabbing and caught one and lost our crabbing basket. UGH! UGH! Anyway, we thought we'd go ahead and cook the one because we never have. Well, Tradd cried for 45 minutes because he thought we were putting the crab in our salt water aquarium. At first I joked with him about eating the crab and then it got serious. He couldn't breath right from crying so hard. So we conceded not to eat the crab but to take him back and let him go (we already have a small one in our aquarium). When he could finally breath right and there were no fresh tears he said, "let's eat it." You should have seen him dig into that crab. What a week!

2 comments:

The Gotbeters said...

Ok, I am laughing out loud, what a great post!!! Miss you guys, lets get together soon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I can't imagine! Expensive lesson well learned but loved by the kids.
Love you guys, and miss you. Talk to you soon.

Love, Nana